Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Vortices

For this project, I pretty much continued the work I have been doing on instagram surrounding texture and virtual dimensions. This is currently my primary interest in my digital art, and it related so well to Baudrillard's ideas that it felt almost too serendipitous. I wanted to ramp up the small texture studies I've been doing through editing and do more complex, multilayered images. In these images, I've tried to create pathways for the viewer to follow that make them think about all the different layers of removal between them and the subject matter. Screenshots of selfies of photobooth pictures, zooming in and out and constantly finding new focal points- I want the viewer's eyes to have a lot to do, and I know my audience is trained at darting around a screen to absorb all the information it offers.

"It is the generation by models of a real without origin or reality: a hyperreal. The territory no longer precedes the map, nor survives it. Henceforth, it is the map that precedes the territory - PRECESSION OF SIMULACRA"


The process of image compression, reposting, screenshotting, etc. deteriorated and decays images in exactly the same was that Baudrillard is talking about. This decay makes things undesirable in our eyes, if we notice it at all. I think it's beautiful and I want to make stories with it. The plotlines will go like this:


"This would be the successive phases of the image:
 - it is the reflection of a basic reality
 - it masks and perverts a basic reality
 - it masks the absence of a basic reality
 - it bears no relation to any reality whatever: it is its own pure simulacrum."

You can view these images in their original location at my newhive page, along with the last project I did because it doesn't want to let me collect my pages in the same place...
 



2 comments:

  1. Willa, I like the way that you use social media trends in your work. I never really thought about images erode after they get reposted. It might be interesting to somehow incorporates music and use recordings of recordings. It also might be cool if you collage different zoomed in textures together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I can see you putting together an image of sorts, whether its static or moving, with these other, compressed images to recreate an object or a particular scenario, maybe something that communicates or better yet illustrates the insanity of social media. Again, it could just be another still image, but if you wanted, it could also be a short video or a gif, or even a series of gifs that are put together to breath life into a larger, whole image.

    ReplyDelete